Monday, June 14, 2010

Accent

Work it, baby.  Americans love the Australian accent - although they can't always distinguish it from British or South African dialects - and there appears to be no shortage of us in Los Angeles.  You can hear it in cafes, bars (both behind and in front of), yoga studios, supermarkets and auditions (of course).  Naturally, if you're in LA to seek work as an actor it is essential to cultivate a flawless Standard American accent.  Most of the available work - paid and unpaid - will require it and it's a common recommendation to walk into an audition speaking American.  They'll assume you're American anyway, so don't give them a reason to listen for anything else.  But don't lose your Aussie twang; for a start, it's one of the more difficult English-speaking accents to imitate (especially for Americans, the Brits do a better job), but perhaps more usefully, you'll make friends more easily and get free stuff.  That's right, you heard me.

Ply your natural asset - yes, I'm still talking about the accent - and watch shopkeepers, bartenders and even law enforcement soften at the sound of your lovely, lilting diphthongs.  "I love your accent," they aver, grinning.  I've been offered free drinks, free personal training and free postage; discounted copying services, rent reduction and a cheap wedding (okay, I made that one up).  There may have been other factors at work in these instances (such as my ethereal beauty and pheromone-engineered perfume) but I believe my accent sealed the deal.

And don't get all impatient and annoyed at being mistaken for British, they're trying to pay you a compliment most of the time, so be gracious about it.  You'll soon find yourself in a pleasant conversation wherein they share their own stories about travelling to Australia (or someone they know who did) and what wonderful things they experienced (or heard about) and how cool and funny and friendly Aussies are, and before you know it you've exchanged cards or scored yourself a freebie.  At the very least you've been given a smile and that's nothing to frown at.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with so much of this! Americans do love the Australian accent, and Australians in general, as well as our country if they been here: "Are you Australian? I love Australia!"

    However I found that it was in Europe that I was mistaken for a Brit moreso than in the US. This was 12 years ago, and perhaps it doesn't happen as much, but I was surprised since Australians have been 'doing Europe' for years.

    ReplyDelete